Monday, March 3, 2008

Deadly Fruit

After Ismara, the land of the Cicones, my next stop was a relatively small island. Unlike Ismara, there appeared to be people on this island, so I stopped to replenish my supplies, and have some human contact.
The first native I met was a small boy sitting down on the beach, innocently munching on a piece of fruit. His eyes were blank, and he didn't even blink as I passed and continued into the settlement. Stange. You'd think that someone would make even a slight reaction when another human washes up on the shore, alone, in a small boat. Moving on...
As I got deeper into the heart of civilization on the island, I noticed that more and more natives were eating fruit similar to the kind the boy had been eating. Their eyes were similarly blank as they stared off into nothingness. After about the tenth person I met who was exhibiting this strange behavior, I grew suspicious. I walked up to one of the fruit-eating, blank-eyed natives, a old woman, and tried for a little experiment. I plucked the fruit from her hand and walked away.
This got a reaction. She shouted at me, and...charged me. Of all the reactions I had expected, this had not been one of them. With suprise on her side, she managed to throw me to the ground. But I hung onto her fruit, keeping it just out of her reach.
"Wait!" I said. "Where can I get more supplies? Where are the markets?"
"No markets here!" The woman screamed, as she viciously clawed at me in a vain attempt to win her fruit back. "The only food here is the fruit! GIVE IT BACK!"
Although the woman was obviously a little unhinged, I decided to trust her answer. She just wanted her fruit back, and had no motive to lie. But if this fruit, which seemed to produce a hypnotizing effect on the island's populace, was the only food here, I couldn't afford to restock my supplies. I gave her the fruit back, and retreated to my ship. I set off, but now I was in trouble: without a fresh stock of food, I wouldn't be able to last much longer. Hopefully, I would land on another island, one with a generous amount of healthy food, soon. Otherwise, I was a goner...